You have a number of options depending on what’s available to you, how much work you feel like doing, and what the costume calls for!
- Serge it with an overlock/serging machine that “finishes” edges for you.
- French seam it so that the unfinished edges are sealed inside.
- Use pinking shears on the seam allowance so the edges won’t fray.
- Fully clean line the garment so all raw edges are between the self and the liner.
- Use any of the other seam finishing techniques detailed in this tutorial –– bound seams, flat felled seams, straight stitch, etc.
We use whatever is most useful for the project… usually clean lining these days, but serging is the easiest to fall back on for unlined projects :)
This post is a treasure for the cosplaying masses.